Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Shari's Workation, Day One

Monday-sorry no pictures, I took some today, but forgot the cord to upload the pics to the computer.

How does one start a “workation?” (Shari’s idea of vacation-going to a conference for work) Better get yourself a pedicure! So far starters this morning, I headed over to Regal Nails for a pedi…I watched part of the Michael Jackson televised memorial while getting me toes all dolled up. Had a lot of good memories come floating back…my mom had a 47 record of the Jackson Five-my first introduction to Michael Jackson was of playing him on our little beat up record player – not sure how old I was when I was looking through the old blue box of 47s, but shortly thereafter he broke off and went solo…other fond memories were of watching him on MTV at my Grandma’s in Aurora. (We didn’t have cable out on the farm). I remember my eyeballs literally popping out of my head watching him dance his way through Wanna Get Something Started, and Beat It, etc. And then me and my friends trying to horribly imitate the moves at our slumber parties. (Still haven’t met anyone who could replicate the Moonwalk). I regretfully missed his brother Jermaine singing one of my favorite songs (who knew it was also Michaels?), "Smile." Another one of my favorites was, and still is, "I'll Be There."

Next, off to the airport. I actually watched the signs this time and made it without having to turn around. (Usually I have someone in the car with me that I’m delivering or returning and we’re yapping away; or it’s just too darn early or late and I miss something cuz I don’t see well in the dark).

So, a little background info…I haven’t flown in about 5 years….The last time I flew you had to hand your info to a real person and they gave you all your “stuff.” NOW there’s a computer touch screen that you have to deal with. So, I do the best I can, ask a few questions along the way. One of them being, does this touch screen really speed things up? (especially since I’m the ONLY person standing at the SouthWest ticket counter). I think I have everything and head on my merry way.

I’m early-I stop in to have a cup of coffee…a nice lady my mom’s age sits next to me and starts chatting, so naturally I chat back. Turns out, Marcia (also my mom’s name) taught music at King Science when she first taught for OPS, back then it was just an elementary school, though. (King Science was my first OPS school). So we have a lot to talk about...

Then I head to security. Did I mention I don’t get out of state very often? I hand them whatever the lady at the ticket counter gave me…they laughed. Where’s your boarding pass? It should have printed out at the computer. Hmmm no one said anything about that…I’m just laughing at myself at this point. Thinking, I really need to get out more often. Turns out, the boarding pass (which I didn’t know I was supposed to pick up) had been picked up by someone and turned in, but the ticket people had just thrown it away…it had been awhile and they didn’t think I was coming back. (Duh, I was talking to a nice lady and enjoying a cup of coffee!) So they printed me another. Got through security....even with one of the security dudes noticing my big envelope carrying all my important info with big, red, bold words printed on it, "DO NOT LOSE." Yeah, he thought it was funny to remind me not to lose it. Thanks...can you help me pick up my license and boarding pass that I just dropped, Mr. Security Guy?

Then I met friend number two. I think I have a “talk to me” sign on my forehead. Very nice 40 ish gentleman from Chicago…6 kids, we exchanged life stories while we waited to board the same plane. Found a seat and got geared up for takeoff. I’ve always wanted to yell out, “Weeeeee,” while taking off. But I didn’t. It was hard to resist. Then one of the stewards asked if once in the air I’d trade seats with a gentleman up a ways so he could sit with his wife. Being a married woman, knowing how nice it is to fly with your hubby, and since I was flying solo, I said sure, no problem. So my reward for being nice was a few complimentary drinks. “Weee!” About halfway through the flight a fellow across the aisle started chatting it up – we’re a very friendly center section of the plane…we’re all getting to know one another. Turns out HE was the one who picked up my boarding pass and returned it. Even he agreed that I needed to get out more often!

So we made it to the hotel…a little later than I anticipated, so I am not going to the Rocky Mountains; that really is a true day trip, anyhow. So I walked around downtown Denver, just taking in some shops and people watching. And, obviously catching up my blog.
Right now I’m sitting on 17th street enjoying a nightcap before I head back to the hotel and iron my clothes for tomorrow. I found free internet just down the street from the Marriot, where internet access is $12.95 a day. Rip off.

Feel free to send me a ticket to anywhere in the future...would hate to let my traveling expertise be forgotten.....

No comments: